5/3/05

4th Grade Homework

I have spent the last 30 minutes looking up vocabulary words to match the definitions that are in BB's(10) geometry homework. All the definitions are there and he had to write down the words that they were defining. But he wasn't given a list of words. I assume these are all words that he's supposed to be learning. Vertex? I'd never heard of a fucking vertex. But now I know that it is the endpoint at which two rays of an angle meet. Yay. Go me. So I looked up all the words he'd need online and put them in alphabetical order and he has to figure out what goes where. I also made up a test that he has to take before bedtime. If I spent all this time looking up the damn words he will learn them.

The house looks like a hurricane ran through it. I went back to sleep after everyone went to school this morning and the battery on my cell phone (read: alarm clock) died while I was asleep so I was lucky that I woke up in time to get the kids from school. I have selective narcolepsy, if there's something I don't want to deal with I am overtaken with the sleepies. I'm going to tidy up after everyone goes to sleep. It's easier that way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

see, I'd say we were long lost sisters until the "tidy up" comment. yeah. we're a little different with that...I hate cleaning. hub's the cleaner. thank god for that.

vertex...yeah..i've taught 5th and 6th grade math....those kinds of words are the ones that we never even use as adults unless we're architects or something. oh well...what doesn't kill us makes us...smarter, right????

Chickie said...

Weeellll... as far as tidy up goes - I didn't do it. Sometimes I think if I say I'm gonna do something it makes it easier to do. So now I've been home for 3 days and my sty is still a mess. I'm really going to go tidy up now. I so need a maid.

I looked in BB's math book yesterday and couldn't believe the stuff they study in the 4th grade. I never even heard the words "algebra" or "geometry" til at least the 7th grade. No wonder it's so hard for the kids to pass the FCAT down here!