5/19/05

Time's Flying

I did the spraypaint tan again this morning. Didn't have Sweety come home and do it, managed on my own. One nice thing about being tan is it hides cellulite. I'd forgotten about that. I will never go pale again.

Sweety got a nice "surprise" from me in the shower last night. The way our shower and tub are you can stand on this ledge in the corner. So he stood and I serviced. Towards the end I was afraid he was going to forget where he was and slip off the ledge and the children would have to call an ambulance for us.

Stinky and tiny dog are having a party with the boys laundry sack. I'd almost let them continue their play but that seems kinda weird. And who knows what kind of scuzz is in that bag.

I broke my own rule of "don't tell the kids that we will do something fun in advance". I don't like to tell them things like that ahead of time because if something happens and there is a change in plans they won't know what they missed. But for some reason I told them we'd go to the beach on Saturday. What the hell was I thinking? I hate the beach. Too hot. Too windy. To much sand ends up in places better left unmentioned. I will try to make it a short trip. Maybe they can be bribed into doing something else.

When I was buying Sweety's birthday card the other day I almost bought one for my Grandma. It was a large print card and I thought "hey, i'll get this and save it for her birthday next year". I momentarily forgot that she just died. Gagh. I almost had a breakdown in the freaking card store.

And I was reading California Girl's post here and it reminded me of growing up. I grew up in the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma. The actual town I lived outside of had about 200 people in it and a post office. I went to school 8 miles away in a school that had 175 kids in it for grades k - 12. Where we lived there was no such thing as cable t.v. It didn't come out that far. We got 3 channels on the t.v. and none of them had a clear picture. This was probably a good thing because as a result I read ALOT. I used to go with my Grandma to garage sales and buy tons of books. Readers Digest? Oh my god, if I found a box of old Readers Digest for a dime apiece it was Christmas in July. And usually people were so impressed that a child wanted the books that they'd give them to me. I remember being introduced to Stephen King when I was 9 or 10. I got a paperback copy of The Shining. My parents would hide my books at bedtime because I'd stay up all night reading. I get really into a book when I'm reading it. Once when taking a break from Little Women I started wondering what some of the characters were doing and then realized "duh, they're doing the same thing they were doing the last time you read the book". I think it is okay to sometimes not have a really good grip on reality.

This will be the last weekend that Sylvie is here. To celebrate the kids are getting to build a tent in the toyroom and sleep there on Saturday night. I have also obligated myself to telling them a story. I'm trying to come up with an idea of what it will be about but the story telling well is kinda shallow right now. I'm sure I'll yank something good out of the air for them.

I so hope I deal with Sylvie being gone well. I think my relief at getting to be alone again with outweigh my missing her. But I'm not sure.

Right now our computer is in our bedroom but when Sylvie leaves we're turning her room into a t.v. room for the kids/computer station. I can't wait. Now I can come in from work and sneak around on the internet instead of eating until I'm sleepy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents (Dad and S-Mother) used to do the same thing - take away all my books so that I would sleep. It really didn't happen for me until I was ten or so, when the school librarian gave me a book that was actually interesting to read. Then, all of a sudden, I went from reading "Peter Grey" to "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich."

Wee Todd Ed. That's funny.

imapuma

Chickie said...

the wee todd thing is part of a joke. you take a piece of paper and write:

wee todd
wee todd ed
i am sofa king
wee todd ed

then you get a drunk friend to read it out loud.