8/29/05

Care For A Drumstick?

Nice Legs

These were strolling around in my yard this afternoon. The pompous, arrogant, I-can-walk-in-the-middle-of-the-road-cause-I'm-a-threatened-species, Florida Sandhill Crane. This is the first time I've seen them NOT in the middle of the road.

These birds usually travel in packs of 3 or more. Most often they are walking back and forth across some road that I'm trying to drive down. I think they know it is illegal to run over them so they like to take their sweet time when they're crossing the road. It is not uncommon for the first bird to get across the street to turn around and cross back to the other side while bird 3 is still coming in the opposite direction.

The first time I saw these I didn't know what they were and I entertained the idea of gassing it and seeing if I could smack one hard enough to make it's legs pop apart at the knees. I didn't understand why traffic was at a total stop with nobody even honking their horn or driving close enough to spook them. After telling Sweety my little fantasy he informed me that they are threatened and a huge ticket would be had if I did run over one. And I would also be labeled an animal abuser.

If I ever hit one I know to pick it's feet out of my grill before the body is out of my rearview mirror.

9 comments:

Jess said...

Peacocks think they own everything too. In winter park FL, there is a entire block overrun with them . People arent alowed to hurt the birds and the birds nest in their yards. They are almost intimidating! :)

Anonymous said...

You need some coyotes. They would eat those birds quickly. Of course they'd think tiny dog was delicious so you could never her out by herself.

Chickie said...

jess - At least peacocks are pretty. These birds just kinda look like trees.

mcb - I think coyotes are the answer. Or maybe the alligators just need to get more aggressive. If Tiny doesn't change her ways, coyotes will be the least of her worries.

Eh, who am I kidding? Oy is rotten. And I'll just suck it up and deal with the little monster that I've created.

Chickie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I agree with MCB, large protective animal would do the trick hehehe

carpediemtomorrow said...

Get a few statues of these birds, stick them in the road and laugh till your sides split at the traffic build up...sell Lemonade, wash the windscreens...lucrative business opportunity to be had there!

Chickie said...

him - Since I didn't have a large animal, I had some fun spooking them in the yard.

scott - Holy cow! That is a fine idea. I've never seen any statues of these but I bet I could paint up a pink flamingo to look like one. I know what I'm putting in the road in front of my hot dog cart when I get one.

Anonymous said...

Horrible but funny. You're fired up this week, Chickie.

Chickie said...

anne arkham - I don't know what it is. I think the weather has me all wound up.