7/26/08

Well, I'll be damned...

My laptop started acting up the first weekend of this month. It took 15-20 minutes for Windows to come on (if it did) and it was freezing up. I took it to the store and they kept it overnight and told me that they tested it and that all I needed to do was reformat it. So I reformatted the motherfucker and it worked just long enough for me to buy replacements of t.v. shows that I had purchased for BigBrother(13)'s Zune but lost when I did the reformat. (I wasn't able to put them on the Zune before the reformat because the shitty laptop wouldn't unfreeze long enough for me to download them.)

I knew if I took it in for repairs that it wouldn't be ready in time for vacation and that pissed me off. Pissed me off so much that I decided to do something.

Before I had a chance to do anything drastic (like set fire to the computer store while running around in a tutu with lipstick smeared all over my face) the laptop suffered an accident. I accidentally ran over it. Uh, twice. With all tires on the passenger side. Really slow. Maybe I spun out on it too. I am not a very good driver. Poor laptoppy.

Thank goodness for replacement insurance that covers anything except fire or theft! I thought that surely a new laptop would be coming my way but guess what? We got a message today that they have ordered the parts to fix it and it will be ready in a few weeks. I really don't care that I'm not getting a new one. I just want it to work. I don't want to be told that it just needs a reformat when something is really wrong with it.

But I'm wondering - If being driven over doesn't kill a computer then what will? They should make cars out of whatever the case on that thing is made from.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The case might still be OK; but you almost certainly get a new motherboard, keyboard, LCD and hopefully a new hard drive. So you'll probably end up with a brand new computer in an old body.

It's a shame that you have to go to such lengths to get something fixed. My last desktop system had a bad memory chip that would crash the computer like very five minutes; but the tested perfectly in overnight tests at the store I bought it from. I wish I would have thought of your approach.

RebTurtle said...

Gotta love it. Cant't kill 'em when you want to, but they'll die on you out of the blue for no apparent reason. After building dozens of computers myself, trust me - I feel your pain. Then again, I could just be constipated...

Cissy Strutt said...

Did you wrap it up in that huge bubble wrap first? Then you could have combined two fun activities.

Monogram Queen said...

I cannot even believe they are not replacing it but fixing it. Cheapskates!!! LOL

SagaciousHillbilly said...

The easiest way to kill a laptop is to install Microsoft Windows.
Best way to preserve one is to run MacOS.
MY desktop unit was bought in '01. It has never crashed or slowed down and only upgraded the OS once.
My laptop is three yrs old and has the same record.
Dump Windows!

Mike said...

That would really piss me off if I accidentally ran over my laptop and then they told me they could replace it.

Rich | Championable said...

"Rare earth" magnets will kill your laptop. Or at least erase your hard drive.

:-)

themom said...

Ever the ingenious culprit! Piss on insurance, that they won't replace the lappy. What if it was shot with REAL bullets - they would insist you keep it and "repair" it??? Buttholes!

Redroach said...

If they don't do theft or fire, then blow it up, just don't let it burn.

What pos car do you drive that it can't kill a laptop?

TV

The Phosgene Kid said...

Should have plugged it in and then tossed it in the pool.

The Phosgene Kid said...

or check to see if it is microwave safe for say, oh, about half an hour...

Chickie said...

Thomas - I have a Honda Civic and it is The Best. I can't help it if she's dainty.

Monogram Queen said...

Chickie - I miss you so much - puh-lease come back!!!