8/13/05

Sleepy Ramblings

I was stuck in traffic this morning due to a horrific car crash. I was zipping up the interstate when I realized there was a flaming car on the side of the road and traffic was stopping. I have never seen a car burning. Pretty big. I think it was a 2 car crash cause when they were shooing us through on the left was the burnt car and to the right all of the trees were knocked down and emergency workers were filing in and out of the opening like ants. Luckily I was close enough that when they needed to land the emergency helicopter I was parked where it needed to land. So I was told to move around the wreckage slowly. All together, I sat there not moving for about an hour. It surprised and appalled me at how many people were getting out of their cars to walk up and gawk at the wreck. There was one couple with a kid around 10 or so. What the hell are you doing out with a kid that age at 3 in the morning and on top of that why would you take him out of the car to go look at such? People are nosy sickos. I will admit that I peek at accidents when I drive by but I'm not going to turn off my effing car and walk up to the crash seen to have a look. I just sat in my car and read my book. I tried to call Sweety and make him amuse me but he was too sleepy.

When I got home I saw that tiny dog had really taken a liking to eating the wall. In the bathroom there's been a spot about the size of a quarter that she nibbled off when we were on vacation. I thought it was something she just did that one time. Yesterday she really started munching down on the wall and now there's a strip about 3 inches long where she's shredded through the wall plaster. I saw her going back after it so I put some of Sweety clear deodorant on it. That seems to be deterring her from nibbling it further.

I woke after 3 hours of sleep with the overwhelming urge to eat fruit. Must be my body's was of telling me that scurvy is imminent if I don't get some vitamin C. And all I could find was stinking fruit cups. I had one and may go scarf down another. We need to go grocery shopping.

Sweety's taking the boys shoe shopping today. That's one back to school ritual that I prefer to not partake in. Too time consuming and kids are so picky. They pretty much get to choose whatever kind of shoes they want. I know Sweety does this because he had to wear crappy shoes when he was a kid but after going to 3 different stores and looking at shoes that cost at least $50 I start to get a little edgy and grouchy. Things like "Holy shit. If I had the green light to get shoes like that when I was a kid I wouldn't have insisted on going to every store in the mall. Just pick a pair already." I almost had a nervous breakdown just following the shopping caravan a couple of years ago so I find other things to do when they shoe shop.

Tonight I promised to read them 2 more chapters in the Lemony Snickett book that we're working on. This means bedtime for them at 7:50 and a lot of paraphrasing of the chapters for me so I can have alone time with Sweety sooner.

I better get back in bed with tiny dog and get some sleep before the troops get home. So I can do the "good parent" thing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been first on the scene of an ejection. Just as a motorist. Twice. That's not something I ever want to see a third time.

Chickie said...

I was right behind a truck that ran off the road once and I helped find some guy who was tossed in the bushes. He lived but some of my fellow "rescuers" were total asses. Once he was located and the other people realized that he wasn't completely aucasian they just all wandered away to look at the wreck and left him alone in the dark after being quite rude to him.

I really enjoyed my first 25 years in the Bible belt. It was a great learning experience.

Anonymous said...

Wow is all I can say. I'm glad I always wear my seat belt. People in who need help need help period. Hopefully the emergency crews didn't have the same attitude.

New Girl said...

Wow, people getting out of their cars to look. Unbelievable.

Chickie said...

mcb - I always wear mine too and insist on everyone else wearing their's. When someone tries to tell me they don't mind taking a chance I tell them I want them to wear it so they won't be a missle and smash into me if there's a wreck.

bg - I could understand getting out or looking if you were right on top of the accident. But these people were having to walk a couple of city blocks to get there.

Anonymous said...

My dog eats the stairs.

Chickie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chickie said...

anne arkham - Mine also has a fondness for eating the carpet in 2 spots. I've tried covering it up but it's starting to look like a bald man with a combover.